Need New Representation? - Strike News - Festivals & Awards
By Abigail Hardin, August 30, 2023
Happy Wednesday, UTD!
I hope you're enjoying the last unofficial week of Summer! While the strikes continue, I encourage you to use the natural surge of new energy this Fall to your benefit. Pick one career goal for this upcoming season and use this next week to define clear actionable steps towards reaching that goal.
- Make a vision board.
- Create a targeted list of people and projects.
- Make sure your marketing tools are in the best shape possible.
For many folks, this is a great time to start a new representation campaign. It is a false myth that agencies are not seeking during the strike. While it is always a case-by-case scenario, many Up-To-Date Actor members and clients have found new agents and managers during the Summer months. As always, we encourage you to take specific bold action. Create a targeted list of no more than 10 agencies who are seeking talent like you. Use the filters on the Up-To-Date Actor to find agencies currently seeking. But if you still have doubts pick the phone up and ask if they are accepting new submissions during the strike!
As always you can find nationwide (and Canada) information on talent agents and talent managers on the Up-To-Date Actor. Use the filters to search by who they represent, who they are seeking, upcoming networking events, and more. And if digital is not your style, we offer paper directories that can be ordered online and mailed directly to you.
We have offered our NYC/Tri-State & South East Directories for over 15 years and we are thrilled to have recently added a California Agency Directory to our offerings. These can be purchased online, at the Drama Book Shop in NYC, or at Theater Circle in NYC.
Paid Up-To-Date Actors subscribers receive a 20% discount on all printed directories. So what are you waiting for?! We've got you covered (digital & analog) to help you do the research, find the right people, and take bold action to move your career forward!
Lastly, Jump start the Fall season by joining us for our upcoming free workshop online! More details via the link below.
- September 13, 2023 @ 3:00 PM EST — Strike Time: Keep Your Career Momentum Soaring with Actors Connection
I hope you have a wonderful Labor Day weekend! We'll be back the week after. Active members will still receive daily notifications, strike news & info, and theatre auditions via email. Happy end of Summer!
Articles pertaining to the SAG-AFTRA and WGA strikes continue to roll in on a daily basis. Below are select articles with the most pertinent strike information. For full Strike coverage please visit our new Strike Resource page.
Active Up-To-Date Actor members now receive daily or weekly notification with all strike related news articles. Make sure you don't miss an important article.
- One of 5 Films with a SAG-AFTRA Interim Agreement Wouldn’t Get One Now
- Actors Strike: SAG-AFTRA “Remains Very Eager” To Return To Bargaining With AMPTP
- Restart Of WGA-AMPTP Talks Brings Hope For Meaningful Broadcast Season
- Bill Mechanic On SAG-AFTRA Interim Agreements
- Hollywood Strikes, Corporate Layoffs Take Toll On PR Operatives
- Charlie Kaufman Calls Disney CEO Bob Iger ‘Dishonest’ Over Salary
- Poll Shows 67% Support WGA and SAG-AFTRA Strikes
- SAG-AFTRA’s Duncan Crabtree-Ireland & Bectu Talk Actors Strike
- AI: SAG-AFTRA, WGA, Other Unions Praise New York State Bills Aimed At The Tech
- SAG-AFTRA Chief as Strike Hits Day 40: 'The CEOs Need to Be Involved'
- AMPTP Hires Crisis PR Firm As Studios Seek To Reset Strike Messaging
- SAG-AFTRA Encourages Promotion of Interim Agreement Projects
- Actors Strike: SAG-AFTRA “Remains Ready At A Moment’s Notice” To Resume Talks
- WGA, AMPTP Negotiations in Limbo After Week of Public Sparring
- Here’s How Much Money Each Studio Says They’ve Saved During the Strike
- Writers Strike: Showrunners Privately Oppose Staff Minimum
- Writers Guild, AMPTP Meet For 3rd Day In Row; Studio CEOs Meet Friday
- Trustees Of NYC’s $250B Pension Funds Warn Studios Of Losing Investor Confidence
- MPTF Makes Urgent Plea For Donations To Aid Below-The-Line Crews During Strikes
- Hollywood Strikes; Gale Anne Hurd, Glen Basner Guest On Strike Talk Podcast
- Writers Strike: WGA & AMPTP To Meet Again Next Week
- WGA West Issues “Call To Action” To Curb Media Consolidation
- Hollywood Strikes: Entertainment Community Fund Has Distributed $4.7M In Aid
- Hollywood Strikes: Lock Yourselves In a Room & Come Out With A Deal
- WGA Leaders Meet with CEOs; AMPTP Releases Offer Details
- WGA Strike Update: AMPTP Counteroffer Revealed – TVLine
- See the Details of the AMPTP’s Latest Proposal to the WGA
- Writers and Actors Stay Resolved for Strike: 'Digging Our Heels in'
- Deadline Strike Talk Week 17: Billy Ray Explores Hollywood Shutdown
- WGA Says AMPTP Offer has Too Many Loopholes and Isn’t ‘Good Enough’
- Late-Night Comedy Writers Score Streaming Win In WGA/AMPTP Talks
- Summer 2023 Box Office: When Jim Caviezel Was Bigger Than Tom Cruise
- Pat Kaufman New Head Of NYC’s Mayor’s Office Of Media & Entertainment
- How Hollywood Can Unleash the Power of AI
Festivals & Awards
- The 20 Hottest Sales Titles at Toronto and Venice 2023
- Toronto Film Festival Dropped By Long-Time Sponsor Bell Canada
- Venice: Adam Driver, Jacob Elordi Among Stars Going To 2023 Festival
- Sands International Film Festival Sets Dates For 2024 Edition
- Emmys: Comedy Category Could Benefit From Rule Change
- Linear Television Is Officially the Minority of TV Viewership
- The Number of Streaming Titles Has Grown by 40% in 2 Years
- Linear TV Viewing Drops Below of US TV Usage for First Time: Nielsen
- Disney+ Can Keep Raising Rates. And We’ll Keep Paying
- Netflix Mailing Free Discs To Customers As It Marks End Of DVD Era
- Netflix Adds U.S. Subscribers After Password Sharing Crackdown
- HERE LIES LOVE Will Offer Free Childcare Services During Four Upcoming Matinee Performances
- It's Not Just America: UK's Theater System is Also Collapsings
- How the regional theater crisis will be felt on Broadway
- Alliance of Resident Theatres/New York and SeaChange partner to save NYC’s nonprofit theater
- How dancers can keep up with the evolution of Broadway choreography
- Breaking down the ever-changing style of choreography on Broadway
- Hillsborough County Schools Limiting Shakespeare Teachings Due to New Florida Laws
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Movie Casting Inclusion Sees Few Gains, USC Annenberg Study Shows
- Randall Park Hopes Hollywood Understands ‘Barbie’ Success Should Yield “More Movies By And About Women” & Not Toys
- TV Access Project Sets Out 2030 Targets At Edinburgh TV Festival
- The VORTEX Files Lawsuit Against State of Texas Over Drag Bill
- Broadway for All announces new production lab
- Application Period Now Open for 5th Round of NYC Women's Fund for Media, Music and Theatre
- Reading Race Through Shakespeare, and Vice Versa
- Applications are open for Black Theatre Coalition/Broadway Across America fellowships
- From Bella Ramsey to Ayo Edebiri: How Young Emmy Nominees Were Cast
- Casting Directors Charlene Lee and Claire Koonce Talk 'Beef'
- ‘Barbie’ Casting Told Actors Not to Take Shirts Off During Auditions
Actors on Acting
- An Appreciation of Daniel Radcliffe’s Work Post-‘Potter’
- Kathryn Hahn on Sex Scenes: 'Just Rip the Band-Aid Off'
- Video: Drew Gehling Opens Up About Vocal Issues & How to Fix Them on CBS MORNINGS
- Comedic Broadway Scene Stealer Jennifer Simard Says She Actually Prefers the Drama
- Kevin Cahoon May Have Been Tony-Nominated For Shucked, But He's Still Waiting For a Big Break
- 2023 New Fall and Winter Movies —- 46 to Look Out for
- Jeff Daniels Unwinds With Hidden-Camera TV
- Giving Shakespeare the Tough Love He Deserves
- Why Nasia Thomas Is Grateful for the Times She Didn't Land a Role
- Audition for Atlantic Acting School's Evening Conservatory
- The Entertainment Industry Told Me I Didn't Belong, So I Wrote a Play to Prove Them Wrong